Friday, February 17, 2012

This will probably be my only post in the next few days.  Tomorrow some of the girls in the program are going to travel around Bali a little bit to explore some of the more natural sights in the area, and I will be joining them!  Sunday we will spend most of our day either at school or making the short flight to Jogjakarta, Java, so I most likely will not be able to use the internet then either.  Sorry, I know one of the highlights of your day is hearing about my life J
I haven’t been able to start any of my art projects this week, for one reason or another, so I have had a lot of time to read and do fun things like that.  Our program center has a small library of Bali and Indonesia related topics, as well as some books that past students have donated, so I looked through that yesterday.  I found a copy of Mere Christianity, which I have already read and really liked, and The Case for a Creator, which I decided to borrow.  If I ever get through my stack of readings for school maybe I will be able to finish it before I leave.
         Yesterday after school everyone from my program went to a ceremony at one of the students’ house.  Her host sister recently had twin girls, and when they turn 3 months old they have a naming ceremony, and we were invited to attend, wearing pakaian adat of coure. 


As you can see, they were rather adorable.  The whole thing lasted about an hour.  There were about 5 women who were sprinkling holy water around the compound’s various areas for most of the time.  Through most of this time there was also a man chanting while sprinkling holy water on a shrine.  I wish I would have known what all of it meant, but it’s hard to ask at these things.  There usually aren’t people who speak English quite well enough to say why they do these rituals, but it is still beautiful to watch.  The family also had a couple of puppies, and it made for a very cute afternoon. 
That’s all I have for now.  See ya in a few days!



1 comment:

  1. Catching up on your blog this morning--what amazing experiences Father is giving you! I know you will bless the people with your presence and His life in you. Makes me smile to think about it. Be amazed, VIP!

    ReplyDelete