Friday, February 10, 2012


Selamat Hari Raya Kuningan!

Today is Kuningan here in Bali, a Hindu holiday that celebrates … something.  I’m actually not really sure, but I do know that everyone has been on vacation this week.  Later today I am going with my host family to the Pura, or temple, to watch a religious ceremony that involves a lot of praying and some rice.  Today they will ask for protection for another year, and be ritually cleansed. 
Living with my host family has been great!  They are all very friendly, especially my grandparents.  It is a little awkward sometimes, both because I have a very basic understanding of the language and because I am in between generations, so I am not quite sure who my “parents” are, or if I’m supposed to have any.  In any case, they have been extremely hospitable and accommodating, and I love hanging out with them!  The first night I was picked up by a man in the family who speaks a good amount of English and introduced to everyone in the family.  There is a cucu, or grandson, who is about 2 and a half who is just adorable.   Eating for Balinese is not a social activity like it is in the US, and everyone eats in their room by themselves, but my family has set up a table for me in the kitchen to eat at.  I am always the only one eating in there, but the grandparents always come to keep me company and make sure I have everything I need.   I really appreciate it, because when they aren’t in there it is super lonely.   After dinner on my first night I joined some of my female relatives while they were making offerings and doing one of their favorite pastimes: watching Indonesian soap operas.  Those shows are the most dramatic television programs I have ever seen!  Even during the tender moments are not without intense music.  
Yesterday was fairly uneventful.  We had a quiz in Bahasa (I got a 98, woo!!) and then a field trip to Ubud.  There we visited an Indonesian Women's art gallery which was started by an British women 20 years ago.  The woman was a pretty big feminist, which made the talk a little bothersome to listen to, but the art we saw was beautiful!  There was a room full of art done by girls 13 and younger, and the attention to detail they showed was incredible.  Afterwards we headed back to our program center for a thematic seminar on Balinese Hinduism.  They spend an unthinkable amount of time making offerings to keep the good and evil spirits in  balance.  In Hinduism, it is not necessarily about being a good person, but more about keeping these powers in equilibrium.  I don't quite understand it yet, but I hope to have a better grasp on their beliefs before I leave.  
I am not sure if you have seen my note on facebook, but I can get snail mail!  (Seriously, it takes about two weeks!)  This is my address:

Malia Castillo
SIT Indonesia Bali Program
PO Box 138
Ubud 80571
Bali, Indonesia

If you would like to receive a letter/postcard, please message or email me your address and I'll get right on it!  That's all I have for now.  I don't have a reliable internet connection in Bedulu (the village I live in,) but I am hopeful that I'll find a good enough connection in Ubud soon to post a lot of pictures! 

Sampai nanti!

No comments:

Post a Comment